Finding a Mental Health Professional
How do I find a Mental Health Provider?
There are many ways to locate a qualified mental health provider.
- Referral from your physician
- Recommendations from trusted friends
- Crisis hotlines
- Community mental health agencies
- Referral from clergy
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Program
Questions to ask before seeing a counselor, clinical social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist:
- Are you licensed to practice in this state?
- What is your educational background?
- How long have you been practicing?
- What are your areas of specialization? (e.g., anxiety, depression, couples, families, substance abuse, compulsive behaviors, sexual abuse and domestic violence, eating disorders, grief/loss)
- What are your fees? Do you accept insurance? How is billing handled?
- Do you offer a sliding fee scale or payment plan if I do not have insurance?
- What type of treatment do you use and how can you help me with my problems?