Finding a Mental Health Professional
How do I find a Mental Health Provider?
There are many ways to locate a qualified mental health provider.
- Referral from your physician
- Recommendations from trusted friends
- Crisis hotlines
- Community mental health agencies
- Referral from clergy
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Program
Questions to ask before seeing a counselor, clinical social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist:
- Are you licensed to practice in this state?
- What is your educational background?
- How long have you been practicing?
- What are your areas of specialization? (e.g., anxiety, depression, couples, families, substance abuse, compulsive behaviors, sexual abuse and domestic violence, eating disorders, grief/loss)
- What are your fees? Do you accept insurance? How is billing handled?
- Do you offer a sliding fee scale or payment plan if I do not have insurance?
- What type of treatment do you use and how can you help me with my problems?
Other helpful resources include the American Counseling Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association.