Myths About Grief
- The biggest myth about grief is that we will get over it. In most cases the pain diminishes, but certain occasions may cause the sadness to resurface.
- It is a myth that when a loved one dies, our relationship with that person ends.
- It is a myth that people who experience the same loss will have the same grief.
- The idea that there is one right way to grieve is yet another myth. All cultures have their unique understanding of grieving and not one is more correct than the other.
- Many people believe the myth that feeling and expressing intense grief emotions is a sign of weakness and losing control.