New Hire Onboarding
Welcome to the Georgetown University community! This checklist will help prepare you and guide you through the process of getting to know Georgetown during your first few days of employment. In addition to your department manager, your HR Contact or Department Administrator will be in touch with you to set up a time to finish processing your hiring documents and will work with you during your first few days to help you get settled into your new role.
Prior to your First Day
Locate the documents needed to complete the required Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9).
The I-9 form is a Federal Law requirement for all new employees to establish your identity and eligibility to work. The form requires that you produce original and unexpired documents. Photocopies are not acceptable. The list of acceptable documents is available on the USCIS website or on page 5 of the Form I-9.
Download the Georgetown University Mobile App.
The app includes useful features such as Directory, Campus Map and Transit to include shuttle schedules. For more information go to GUMobile site.
Visit the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits’ website*.
Benefits are an important part of your total compensation. You can access comprehensive information about these benefits, including current premium rates and descriptions of each health care plan at benefits.georgetown.edu. Click on the interactive benefits guide located in the middle of the Benefits homepage.
Visit the Office of Transportation Management’s website.
You can review available transportation and parking options at Transportation.georgetown.edu. Some quick links below:
- On-campus parking rates and information (new window) for faculty and staff
- SMART benefits (new window) are available as a pre-tax payroll deduction to all faculty and staff for mass transit costs.
- For additional information regarding parking at the Law Center, go here.
View the Campus Map.
Go to maps.georgetown.edu to view a map of the Georgetown campuses. Here you have the ability to select a particular campus and filter by featured locations and services.
*Graduate student stipend recipients are only eligible for the 403(b) Voluntary Contribution Retirement Plan.
First Day Checklist
Check in with your department
See your office contact to locate your office/work space, set-up any necessary computer hardware and phone voicemail, etc.
Complete the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (Form I-9).
If you have not already done so, complete the I-9. Instructions for completing this form depend on the campus you will be working. Specific campus instructions can be found below:
Complete your new hire paperwork.
Review and sign or complete any additional departmental forms, confidentiality agreement, disclosures, etc.
Complete your State Tax withholding forms.
If your State Tax forms are not completed and sent to the Payroll department prior to payroll processing you will be taxed at the highest rate.
Confirm your Georgetown University NetID has been generated.
Your NetID is a unique electronic identifier used to access university email and many online applications. Your NetID is created after you submit all of the necessary paperwork needed to complete your hire in the Georgetown Management System (GMS). For example, if your complete information is entered into GMS at 3:00pm on Monday, your NetID will be generated that night and will be published in the online directory Tuesday morning. You can check the University’s online directory each morning to see if your NetID has been created.
- To find your NetID go to contact.georgetown.edu
- Type your last name in the “Search” field and click Search. A directory page containing the NetID that matches your search criteria will appear once your NetID has been generated.
- Please note Students receive their NetIDs upon admission.
Obtain Your Temporary NetID Password.
Contact the Help Desk at (202) 687-4949 to request your temporary password. You will not be able to access your University email or other services until you do so. The Help Desk may direct you to St. Mary’s Hall to get the password in person or request for you to send the following information:
- A picture of a government issued photo ID
- Your full name
- Your NetID
- A daytime phone number or non-Georgetown e-mail address where you can be reached to provide you the initial password.
- A note stating, “Please provide my initial NetID password”.
Activate your Georgetown BOX Account
Box is Georgetown’s secure file storage and sharing service. All current Georgetown students, faculty and staff get 50G of free storage in the cloud. Login here to claim yours. Details on training for BOX can be found here.
Claim Your Email
First name.last name email addresses for GU faculty and staff are available. To claim your new email address, click here to access the claim page – the process will take only a few minutes. Claiming your new address is entirely optional.
Log into the Georgetown Management System (GMS).
Once you have your NetID and password, go to gms.georgetown.edu to log into GMS, the University’s HR, Payroll and Benefits system. Once logged in you will see an Onboarding request that will take you to a welcome message, important news and a checklist to walk you through a series of tasks to complete, such as these:
- Complete your employment record to include:
- Updating your Personal, Contact and Emergency Contact information.
- Completing your Federal Tax elections.
- Setting up your payment elections for Direct Deposit. Please note: It will take one pay period for your direct deposit election to take effect; therefore your first payment will be a check. Please check with your Manager on your department’s process to receive your check.
- If eligible, completing your Benefit elections.
- Acknowledge receipt of Employee Handbook
- Timesheets – if applicable, GMS is the system for entering your time worked. The Time Tracking Quick Reference Guide can be found on your All About Me page in GMS by clicking on the GMS Training & Resources icon.
- Online GMS Resources – the Employees Section on the GMS website offers online reference guides as well as instructional videos to assist you with navigation and tasks within GMS.
Download the Workday Mobile App.
Instructions for downloading and installing the app can be found on the GMS Employee Quick Reference Guide. Workday for Mobile gives Employees access to GMS tasks when they’re on the go, such as viewing payslips, entering time and requesting time off, changing your personal information and creating expense receipts for expense reports.
Complete RESPECT Training.
As a new member of the University community we would like to welcome you and remind you of a critical on boarding requirement. Georgetown is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work culture. The University has launched a University-wide, online course for all faculty and staff: “RESPECT: Preventing Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct”. You must complete the course within the next 30 days and you will not successfully complete your probation without completing the course. To launch the course please go to: respect.georgetown.edu.
Get your GOCard.
The Georgetown University GOCard is the official identification card of the University. In addition to giving access to the campus buildings and parking, the GOCard also functions as a debit card for campus purchases such as the bookstore and vending machines. Obtain your Georgetown University GOCard at any of the following locations:
Enroll in HOYAlert.
HOYAlert is Georgetown University’s emergency notification system. Your enrollment is voluntary but strongly encouraged, in order to enhance our ability to reach members of the university community quickly in the event of a campus emergency. Using your NetID and password, you can enroll in HOYAlert at netid-mgmt.georgetown.edu/emergencycontact.